Tuesday, March 13, 2012

HOLD ON!

President Boyd K. Packer talks about Lehi's dream found in the Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi Chapter 8. He said, "You may think that Lehi's dream or vision has no special meaning for you, but it does. You are in it; all of us are in it. If you hold to the rod, you can feel your way forward with the gift of the Holy Ghost. Grasp the iron rod, and do not let go". I don't know about you, but I'm going to hold on with both hands and also wrap my legs around it as tight as I can. I have often thought why iron? why not a rod of wood? But as I thought about this, it is so simple - Iron is strong, doesn't bend and is very durable. It can withstand the forces. It can hold us when we cling to it with everything we have. It doesn't bend because the word of God does not change to "fit our needs". It is smooth and at times easy to grasp but we can slip and not feel our way forward if we aren't mindful of the gift of the Holy Ghost. I know that the scriptures are for a specific reason. I know that the gospel doesn't change and it doesn't bend. The iron rod represents the word of God and it is strong, it can withstand time and trials. Cling continually to the rod and you will be happy! An unseen power will hold our hands as we hold to the iron rod. But I believe we will be safe if we look and groom and act like Latter-Day Saints: we need to dress modestly, attend all our meetings, follow our leaders, read the scriptures, and the Book of Mormon, and pray. I am so grateful for the Book of Mormon and the many messages that we can learn from it. The Book of Mormon can also be our iron rod.

No comments:

Post a Comment